Best SIEM tools in 2022, according to their features and prices.giusel
In the Information Technology world, the SIEM tools are the leader software in helping companies meet their security needs. However, as you should know, these are typically costly to SMBs, stopping the chances of securing their IT environment. Therefore, in order to guide SMBs as well, we include an excellent cost-effective Next-Gen SIEM platform in the best SIEM tools list.
Before knowing the best SIEM tools in 2022, let’s define some basic concepts.
What is SIEM?
Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) is a cybersecurity software that combines Security Information Management (SIM) and Security Event Management (SEM) methods.
- A SIM analyses event logs data in real-time, providing threat monitoring, event correlation, and incident response through Threat Modelling.
- On the other hand, SEM collects, analyses, and reports on log data from various sources across the network to improve log management.
What are the advantages of using the best SIEM tools?
- Updates and centralizes the organizations’ cybersecurity scenery in an only platform.
- Discovers irregular users behavior that could indicate threats from hackers or internal security risks.
- Launches a quick incident response.
- Uses Intrusion Detection and Prevention Systems (IDS/IPS) to monitor the network 24/7 and identifies any suspicious activities through network traffic analysis.
- Prevents security breaches and possible cyber threats.
- Reports to cybersecurity experts any incident by sending alerts in real-time.
- Helps organizations with standards regulations compliance.
- Allows forensic analysis and speeds up post-incident recovery.
What are the standard features of the best SIEM tools?
Generally, SIEM tool providers prioritize certain features and functionalities within their products. However, you must understand SIEM basics to choose the right solution that meets your needs. Whether you decide to go for a free, paid, or open-source SIEM program, your product should include the following features.
When organizations are looking for a SIEM, visualization is a crucial feature to keep in mind. Usually, the modern SIEM tools deliver extensive customized dashboard management that allows representing the data through different charts. These functions help you analyze specific data during a specific time range.
Customized Compliance Reporting
Today, organizations are interested in SIEM solutions that allow management and customized compliance reporting. As you should know, security standards are the guidelines that ensure the protection of any environment, identifying system configuration deviations, unauthorized access to data, intrusion attempts, etc. Therefore, your SIEM must allow customized compliance reports that meet your security requirements.
When a SIEM includes threat intelligence, the product is more competent. The threat intelligence provides more information about IP addresses, domains, websites, or logical entities currently associated with malicious behavior. Therefore, get a SIEM that supports using any threat intelligence feeds instead of a particular feed.
Compatibility and Integration
Your SIEM should be compatible with different devices and security products such as Endpoint Protection to monitor and avoid vulnerabilities from any direction. Also, it should collect and integrates security-related information from throughout your organization’s IT infrastructure to correlate and analyze them. In this way, the SIEM can reveal real-time patterns of activity that may indicate an intrusion attempt.
An advanced SIEM can capture additional information about security events to identify attacks, gather evidence, and investigate incidents. The cyber forensic investigation allows discovering who infringed security protocols and policies to take disciplinary or prosecution measures.
List of the best SIEM tools in 2022
The current section lists the best SIEM tools in 2022, comparing them according to the enterprises’ size that can contract them, OSs where they can be running, deployments, free trials, and prices. Please, note that each of these products includes all features mentioned above.
UTMStack is a Next-Gen SIEM and compliance platform that delivers essential cybersecurity services such as Dark Web Monitoring, Vulnerability Assessment, Penetration Testing, and SOC. The UTMStack’s free version covers all the enabled capabilities in the enterprise on-premise version, becoming an excellent alternative for SMBs. Its main purpose lies in simplifying cost-effectively cybersecurity management and compliance from any hybrid, on-premise, and cloud infrastructure.
Particular features of UTMStack:
- Cost-effective solution for small and mid-sized businesses.
- Flattens the learning curve.
- Assists companies in compliance with HIPAA, GDPR, ISO, CMMC, SOC, and GLBA regulations.
- Offers capabilities like Unified Threat Management (UTM), vulnerability management, asset management, dark web monitoring, identity management, incident response, etc.
- Centralizes and combines all cybersecurity tools into an event correlation engine backed by AI technology that optimizes threat detection and incident response.
- Security Orchestration Automation and Response (SOAR).
- Deploying on the cloud as SIEM-as-a-Service (SaaS).
- The free version includes log retention only for 30 days and supports through forums and documentation.
Splunk Enterprise is a comprehensive SIEM tool for organizations sizes, and its free version shares many of its features. Splunk’s data platform powers unified security, full-stack observability, and limitless custom applications. However, the free version has some features disabled such as alert/monitoring, deployment management capabilities, index pooling, and user roles. Therefore, the smaller businesses that find valuable the free version may not cover all their organization’s security needs.
Particular features of Splunk:
- Splunk can work with any machine data, even from the cloud or on-premises.
- Real-time monitoring.
- Automated actions and workflows for quick and accurate responses.
- The platform uses an event sequence.
- Delivers complete reports on performance KP.
- High-cost solution.
McAfee Enterprise is one of the best SIEM tools for detecting and managing threats. Its advanced correlation engine matches events and call logs to find patterns and vulnerabilities. Also, the platform provides organizations with audit trails and historical data to support complete analysis and compliance.
Particular features of McAfee:
- High-cost solution for PYMES.
- Advanced analytics and rich context to detect and prioritize threats.
- Dynamic presentation of data.
- Monitors and analyzes data from a broad heterogeneous security infrastructure.
- Has open interfaces for two-way integration.
- Offers SSL security.
- No behavioral analytics.
- No password management
LogRhythm NextGen SIEM is a centralized platform that provides complete visibility by continuous collection, normalization, and analysis. It integrates solutions for endpoint monitoring, vulnerability assessment, forensics analysis, incident response, encryption key management, and more. With LogRhythm, you can detect and receive alerts to suspicious cloud usage.
Particular features of LogRhythm:
- Costly solution for PYMES.
- Monitors access and group policy changes.
- Supports over 800 data sources.
- Correlation of events.
- Limited documentation on query-building.
- Offers inadequate training.
Securonix collects massive volumes of data in real-time and detects advanced threats using innovative machine learning algorithms. Even though Securonix is one of the best SIEM tools, it doesn’t offer a trial free and can apply additional taxes or fees.
Particular features of Securonix:
- Cloud-native SIEM.
- Delivers an analytics-driven SIEM, UEBA, and XDR as a pure cloud solution.
- Security Orchestration Automation and Response (SOAR).
- Security Monitoring for Hybrid Environment.
- Hight behavioral, user, and data monitoring.